In 1959 a new department of mathematical modeling was created in the AS Ukr.SSR Computing Center. Its chief was a talented 43-years-old scientist, professor Georgiy Pukhov. Earlier (since 1957) he served as chairman for the department of theoretical and general electrical engineering at the Instituteof Civil Aviationin Kiev. He retained this post as adjunct chairman. G.Pukhov managed to attract the best students and former employees to the department. He developed broad and profound research in the field of analog and quasi-analogue technology at the Computing Center, and then – at the Institute of Cybernetics, established the scientific school. After just a year the department elaborated its first specialized machine EMSS-7 for different building constructions calculations (E.Proskurin and others), and then – a machine EMSS-7M (V.Vasiliev and others), later – EMSS-8 Alfa (A.Stepanov and others). Later the following machines were built: "Iterator" to solve systems of linear differential equations with linear boundary data (G.Grezdov and others), "Arkus" to solve linear and nonlinear differential equations with linear and nonlinear boundary data (G.Grezdov); "Omtimum-2" to solve transportation problem of linear programming (V.Vasiliev); "Asor-1" to solve the problems of net planning (V.Vasiliev and others); USM-1 to solve differential equations in partial derivatives of elliptic and parabolic types (G.Pukhov and others).
All the machines, elaborated at the Pukhov's department, were manufactured in small lots by the Ukrainian plants.
In 1961 G.Pukhov was elected a Corresponding Member of the AS Ukr.SSR. In 1966 he was appointed the first deputy director of the Institute if Cybernetics, AS Ukr.SSR. At that time V.Glushkov initiated the process of merger of the numerous Institute departments into four sections: theoretical and economic cybernetics; cybernetic technologies; technical cybernetics; medical and biological cybernetics; and alsoComputingCenter. The sections were independent and headed by prominent scientists A.Bakaev, G.Pukhov, A.Kukhtenko and N.Amosov. V.Glushkov did not interfere much with the work of sections and could spend most of time to solve very important tasks on governmental affairs, on the state cooperation with the institute, its relevance to the government decisions. It ensured the further development of the material, scientific, technical and cadre basis of the institute, and also his own department of digital automation.
G.Pukhov was entrusted to lead the section of cybernetic technology of the institute. He appointed B.Malinovsky his deputy in charge of coordination of the following technical departments: department of operational machines (B.Malinovsky); department of computer arithmetic and storage devices (G.Mikhaylov); department of computer theory (Z.Rabinovich); department of physical and technological computer foundations (A.Kondalev); department of information transfer (A.Luchuk); department of theory and development of electromagnetic devices (O.Tozoni); department of medical computer devices (L.Aleev).
There was an unpublicized (however a positive!) competition between the "digital" and "analog" scientists. The peak of success of Pukhov's section took place in 1960s. The personal contribution of G.Pukhov was enormous. But the speedy development of digital engineering brought to the end research in the field of analog and quasi-analog technology. In 1971 G.Pukhov moved his section from theInstituteofCyberneticsto theInstituteofElectrodynamics, AS Ukr.SSR. Later he created theInstituteofModeling Problemsin Energetic, AS Ukr.SSR.
In 1971 after G.Pukhov's departure to another institute, B.Malinovsky became the head of the cybernetic technology section (on a voluntary basis), maintaining supervisory position in the control machines department.
By B.N. Malinovskiy.